Our client is a New York-based venture capital firm focused on the real estate technology (“PropTech”) industry. Founded in 2015, our client investment team has invested in 125+ technology companies across the real estate value chain. The firm manages multiple funds for both financial and strategic real estate investors that represent a pilot- and test-ready sandbox of 15+ billion square feet across every real estate asset type and global market.
Help lead our client’s early-stage venture capital investment program
- Join PropTech’s leading venture capital firm and play a central role in the next phase of growth
- Gain invaluable experience and build relationships across the venture capital, technology, and real estate industries
- Grow your career with a dynamic team, a flexible remote-first culture, and access to a fabulous New York City office location
The Principal position is a role within the fast-growing PropTech investment firm, and a chance to step into a leadership role within their early-stage investment strategy.
You will work closely with the investment partnership and help lead day-to-day execution of all aspects of the early-stage strategy deal process and fund operations. It is a unique opportunity to work on the frontlines of venture investing, deepen deal and operational experience, build sector knowledge, work with talented entrepreneurs, other VCs, limited partners, real estate industry executives, and other constituents in the PropTech ecosystem. You will be a point person for the early-stage strategy, accountable for deal lifecycles, and advocate for the fund strategy’s best interests at the Investment Committee. You will assist Partners with fund operations and administration.
The ideal candidate is passionate and savvy about all things tech and venture investing. They are a fast-paced, high-performance team. They thrive as individuals but love collaboration. Someone with limitless curiosity for the ever-evolving PropTech world would fit in well. This specific position is particularly well suited to a candidate who has particular strength in finance, operations, due diligence, and research.
- Inform and Execute Investment Strategy.
- Help Lead Deal Sourcing through Execution: Manage and hold day-to-day responsibility for all phases of the investment process, including:
- Sourcing: Ensure that their deal flow remains the best in the business by coordinating and optimizing internal efforts, leveraging their firm’s considerable resources, leading new creative and proactive sourcing strategies, generating individual deal flow, and measuring and tracking our collective progress on initiatives.
- Pipeline Management: Maintain a healthy and transparent deal pipeline at all stages.
- Due Diligence: Identify and diligence investment opportunities, including meeting with entrepreneurs, understanding existing and new markets and competitive dynamics, analyzing business and financial models as well as business strategy and operational plans, and conducting reference checks. You will issue investment recommendations to be considered by our internal investment committee and the thoughtfulness and completeness of work and level of conviction associated with your team’s diligence efforts should be commensurate with that responsibility.
- Deal Execution and Analysis: Execute new and follow-on financings, including formulating investment memos, structuring deals, modeling cap table scenarios, and coordinating legal processes through to close.
- Deal Team Management: Manage deal teams composed of additional investment team professionals, service providers, and other third-parties as needed to achieve the above tasks.
- Portfolio Support: Serve as board representative or observer where appropriate. Work with portfolio companies on key issues. Coordinate and expand the network of portfolio support resources by facilitating and analyzing portfolio communications and value add.
- Community Engagement: Represent our client at industry events, bringing new entrepreneurs into the firm’s network, and generally keeping a pulse on the PropTech community.
- Thought Leadership: Further our clients position as a thought leader in the PropTech market by contributing to thesis development and authoring and publishing market research and opinion publications.
- Venture Platform Building and Execution: Day-to-day hands-on role across internal fund management and administrative functions. Continue to build out and evolve in the investment and internal procedures, tools, and models based on experience and best practices.
- Investor Relations & Fundraising: Lead regular investor reporting and events, support all aspects of fundraising efforts.
- 5–10 years of venture capital experience. Additional relevant experience may include limited partner fund investing, private equity investing, consulting, banking, or similar experience, and/or operations experience in a management position at a startup.
- Track record of successfully sourcing and leading venture capital investments into fast-growing early-stage technology companies. Proven ability to identify, thoughtfully, and efficiently diligence, advocate/fight for, and win attractive (and sometimes competitive) deals on reasonable terms.
- Exceptional deal judgment. You understand the “why” behind what makes for a great venture capital investment. What separates a very good business, team, and market opportunity from one that has the potential to become a truly iconic company capable of generating venture-scale returns.
- You are extremely well-versed in and savvy about the venture capital ecosystem. You understand the industry at both high theoretical and on-the-ground practical levels and understand what it takes for a firm and an individual to be successful within it.
- Deep and continuously evolving network within the venture capital and startup ecosystems. Investors and founders view you as a thought leader in your domain.
- Passionate (borderline obsessive) about tech-enabled businesses and helping to grow early-stage startups. You always have deals in your back pocket and compelling rationales for why they would make attractive investments.
- Able to develop and defend a point of view. Not afraid to stand out from a crowd and advocate for a perspective once you’ve put in the work. Innovative thinker with outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong understanding of how to analyze and vet an investment opportunity. You have an instinct for the important questions to ask and prioritize them accordingly. You are fluent in common startup metrics.
- Demonstrate strong quantitative and analytical skills - you can navigate financial models and large datasets with ease, and can distill the key points to tell a story.
- Experience structuring and negotiating deal terms. You’ve put together dozens of term sheets and deal docs, know the basics cold and have seen enough edge cases to know how to structure for circumstance--and when not to.
- Commitment to diversity. It’s important to us and it should be important to you too. They’re continually looking for ways to help their firm and their peers take a leadership role in shaping a more inclusive industry and they want every member who joins their team to help further this goal.
- Proactive, self-starter - you are high energy, have a strong work ethic, and an execution machine.
- Organized and efficient team leader. You know how to get the most out of a small team of talented professionals. You lead by example, set clear expectations, know when to get involved, and when to get out of the way. You know how to both produce and measure results.
- Consistent, organized learner - you are insatiably curious and love diving into a new challenge or subject area and approach it with both intrigue and rigor.
- Strong organizational and systems creation skills.
- An interest in real estate and construction.
- MBA, technical, or similar degree with a record of achievement.
For further details please contact Hattie - firstname.lastname@example.org