Principal or Associate Engineer – Smart Building / Data Center
Our client is an award winning engineering consultancy working with a cross-disciplinary team of engineers, designers and technical specialists.
Working with the smart building department, this position will assist the data centre team implement smart technologies in data centres for clients (property developers and real estate players) across the UK, Europe, Canada, America, and Australia.
Role and skills
- Client-facing and clear communication skills. Ability to run and host client workshops, read technical capability of audience and adapt technical information accordingly, supporting clients reach a level of understanding of complex subjects and arrive at decisions.
- Strong background In data centres and the systems involved in them. BMS/EMS/PMS.
- Understanding of data centre terminology.
- Commercial ability to dilute solutions into capital expenditure and operational expenditure and convey cost models to client teams for decision-making and to advise project cost management consultants.
- Solid building services electrical and mechanical engineering background, and specifically control and monitoring principles within the building environment.
- Strong understanding of design principles of typical building technology systems such as HVAC controls, building management system (BMS), lighting controls, energy metering networks, generator and fuel systems, access controls and security technologies.
- Extensive knowledge of proprietary systems and specialist system protocols associated with the above.
- Aptitude for the application of user experience when looking at outcomes.
- Ability to create integrated data solutions, sketch out physical and data topologies, and understand their relationships.
- Solid report writing skills, and ability to convey new concepts in visual forms such as flow charts and topologies.
- Creativity to put together striking PowerPoint presentations for client workshops. Including written and diagrammatic content. Understand the necessity of storytelling, to technical solutions and content.
- Attend and lead client workshops, and engagement meetings.
- Ability to self-manage, self-deliver and utilise lower-ranked engineering resources to achieve project deadlines. Strong skills to collaborate within the multi-discipline team, companywide and project teams.
- Good understanding of RIBA stages and how they might transfer to software and creative content such as IB scope. Hold ability to maintain clear focus on client-awarded scope and deliverables, and produce strategy reports, design notes, schedules, schematics, layouts and specifications as required to migrate IB design solutions from RIBA Stages 0-7.
- Strong understanding of construction-phased delivery, and the impact of additional IB scope, dependencies and time scales to advise reasonable expectations of delivering IB contract works within construction phase, and post-occupancy.
What We Are Looking For
You should have a relevant degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent qualification and must have, or be working towards chartered status. Have Membership of CIBSE/IET or an industry-recognised institution.
You should have excellent technical knowledge in your primary discipline and a thorough understanding of Building Services Engineering and interdisciplinary design through all stages of the design process.
You should have an in-depth understanding of Smart Technologies (BMS/EMS/PMS).
You will have experience working in a multi-disciplinary environment, leading, motivating, and supervising junior/senior engineers.
With excellent interpersonal and communication skills you will have proven ability in negotiating positive outcomes, resource planning, motivation and management.
With previous consultancy experience, you will appreciate the importance of complementary specialisms and will sit across Mission Critical and Data Centre & Intelligent Buildings and be the focal point as we move forward with the growth of the sectors.
- Private medical scheme
- Life Assurance
- Income protection
- Travel allowance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing to 30 with length of service
- Contributory pension scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Enhanced Paternity, Maternity & Shared Parental Leave
- Season Ticket Loans
- Professional membership subscription
- 9-day fortnight – the firm offers all employees the option to work a 9-day fortnight ( 5 day weeks and 4 day weeks alternating)
- Hybrid Working – activity-based approach
- Employee stock purchase plan – a voluntary program which allows eligible employees to purchase Tetra Tech common stock at a 15% discount
- Holiday buy & sell up to 5 days
- Study Assistance
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Referral Scheme
- Sabbatical Leave
- Other flexible benefits include gym and retail discounts, travel & dental insurance and GAYE (Give as you Earn)